Rensselaerville Library
celebrates National Poetry Month 2024 . . .

Today's Poem!

Sunday, April 14, 2024

I am, you lonely one*

by Christy O’Callaghan

Didn’t you see me listening to you sing
that song you learned from your mom’s van radio?
Watching you swing from energetic static
to a melted pit of anguish when your power got cut.
Didn’t my reaching open hand
show you I was here?

Am I only the sister you searched for once the others burned out?
But my hand’s grown cold 
holding onto your rainbows, hearts, and green clovers.
Objects turned into candy-coated plastic
once bright enough to obscure our view.
Could you ever truly see me
past the pain you needed to escape?
And with that question suspended, I know
someday you will tell me when we meet again
among the stuff of stars.

*Inspired by Rainer Maria Rilke’s poem “I am, you anxious one.”

~

Christy O’Callaghan is a writer and developmental editor in Upstate NY. For two decades, she was a community organizer and educator. Christy loves strange stories, plants, and lore. Her work has appeared in The Los Angeles Review, Great Weather for Media, Trolley Journal, Under the Gumtree, Chestnut Review, among others. Visit christyflutterby.com for more information.

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome wordplay! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A insecurity that is created when someone needs you. Do you ver see me? Love it

    ReplyDelete