Rensselaerville Library
celebrates National Poetry Month 2024 . . .

Today's Poem!

Thursday, April 18, 2024

I Have Danced With Druids

by Sally Rhoades 

In my slumber as my muscles twitch, strengthen,
awaken in all of their glory. I am smitten with the

Attitude of my hometown druids who dance and spiral
North and south, east and west as they gather the gold

Of voice spoken through others as I am engulfed in 
Joy and its lasting timber. When all is said and done,

I bequeath my knowledge so others may dance a fraction 
Of their heart. There are no words to speak when the body

Has it right, glimmers in starlight, moon light, the often firefly 
That gathers dusk. I am myself, I am when the druids dance

All of my awakening to their sweet succor and chariot to lift
Me to the sky and back on that night when music played

In my ear and catastrophe kept its distance in the open air.
Ah, to dance with the druids is oft compare to starlight.

~

Sally Rhoades, a poet, playwright and performer, has been putting movement to words and words to movement for the last thirty years. She has been featured at most of the area’s open mics and is a frequent contributor. She was featured on Charlie Rossiter’s podcast Poetry Spoken Here and interviewed by Andrea Cunliffe for the Hudson Mohawk magazine at WOOC105.3 FM, a Sanctuary for Independent Media. She has been published in various anthologies and in on-line publications. She received her MA in Creative writing from the University of Albany. Her chapbook, Greeted by Wild Flowers, is available from Dan Wilcox's APD Press.

3 comments: