Rensselaerville Library
celebrates National Poetry Month 2024 . . .

Today's Poem!

Friday, April 12, 2024

The End

by Edie Abrams

I stayed with my mother 
day and night, curled on a chair,
my head on the bed by her feet.

I repeated her life story
to nurses, cleaners, and
cafeteria workers, and

held her hand, caressed
her forehead, kissed 
her face all over,

called her “mommy,”
whispered to stay with me 
longer or be free to go…

They say hearing’s the last 
to fail so I played operas, 
Beethoven, and Fiddler.

Eyes closed, mouth locked open,
breath wheezy, her face
translucent as porcelain.

I found a Polish song 
she used to sing to me
“Maryna! Maryna, gotuj pierogi!” *

When young, I had laughed at “monkey” 
only now to find out it’s really “maką.” **
As the song ended, so did she…

just like that, life vanished

imperceptible and gently.
I climbed onto her bed and 
held her in my arms, my angel.

* “Maryna! Maryna, cook me pierogi!”
** pronounced “monka” (flour)

~

My mother almost made it to 96. Her death was the first bedside death that I experienced.  It was not at all how I expected it to be. Even though it was in a hospital, it was beautiful . . . and awesome.  My daughter Addie commented that, after her Grandma heard the Polish song, it was as if she returned “home.” Although we are not a religious or mystical family, concepts from religion or spirituality are apropos to our experiences.

4 comments:

  1. A wonderful tribute to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heartbreakingly beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, Edie, very sweet,
    Just getting around to these poems,
    and glad I did. Keep writing. Burke

    ReplyDelete
  4. The unbearable joy of life. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete