Rensselaerville Library
celebrates National Poetry Month 2024 . . .

Today's Poem!

Wednesday, April 24, 2024

The Stairs at Marian Lodge
Pyramid Lake, NY

by Susan Oringel

It could have been a hundred years that prayers went up
and down this place. - Margie Bock

Fifteen blue, buckled wooden steps
up the narrow staircase named the “thin place”
in a poem framed above the stairs that you
could read as you trudged your way.
Fifteen ancient painted steps that seemed
a mountain at first glance, high and tight
with Mother Mary at the top, arms open
with downcast eyes beside a tarnished mirror
that made me a wraith.  What would I find
at the top, in my little room overlooking
the lake - where the poet claimed God
was to be found - but no, I wanted
God everywhere, in my room,
in my heart, on the blank page, 
in the women I met, in the caroling
loons, the restless trees, the gravel
paths, even in smoke from wild-fired
Canada. Especially in this thin place,
which is the place of struggle, creation,
birth, which is the place we need Her most.

~

I am happy to announce my full-length book of poems Carnevale was published December 2023 by the David Roberts Books Imprint of Wordtech Communications!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a minimalist Alfred Hitchcock movie, "The Fifteen Steps"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought provoking. Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Pyramid Lake and the beauty of this poem!

    ReplyDelete