Rensselaerville Library
celebrates National Poetry Month 2024 . . .

Today's Poem!

Wednesday, April 3, 2024

The Witch's Necklace

by Dan Wilcox

The crackle of ice as it hits the driveway
is like hearing you tiptoe in the attic
not that you are there, I’ve looked
you’re not, but I listen until I fall asleep.

Your breath in my dreams is like what the night 
smells like ruffling your hair as dark as the sky 
with a scent like your body unwashed 
in the morning when you evaporate into the Sun.

The pages torn from your journal are cursives
in a language we haven’t learned to speak 
where your voice falters with hallucinations 
sounding like desire or lessons for daughters.

I put down my book, climb the attic stairs
there is silence when I flick on the light
nothing disturbed, then I see the sparkle of light
on the floor, a necklace I’ve never seen

the chain tarnished, the glass beads glisten
like pearls of ice. I bring it downstairs
put it on, dream you come back to claim it.

~

Dan Wilcox is the host of the Third Thursday Poetry Night at the Social Justice Center in Albany, NY and is a member of the poetry performance group "3 Guys from Albany." As a photographer, he claims to have the world's largest collection of photos of unknown poets. His book "Gloucester Notes" is from FootHills Publishing. He was named one of the 2019 Literary Legends by the Albany Public Library Foundation and he is an active member of Veterans For Peace. You can read his Blog about the Albany poetry scene at dwlcx.blogspot.com.

4 comments: